Tuesday, January 28, 2020



Leaving the Blues is one of the most successful shows I've ever done and that's thanks to: the original commissioner, Ed Decker at NCTC as well as the current producers, TOSOSNYC, the director, Mark Finley, the cast Rosalind Brown, Michael Michele Lynch, Cooper Sutton, Benjamin Mapp, Joy Sudduth, Ameera Briggs, Tsebiya Mishael Derry and pianist Erik Ransom.  And then there's the TOSOS board (especial my brother Michael Zegarski)and all of the folks who contributed their art -- from costumes, to musical arrangements, to sound & set design and lights and stage management.  

But the key to success is for me the sense of community that is created when all of these people come together and open to each other's talents and value each other as individuals and artists. How can the audience resist?

That's what I like about the collaboration of theatre.  It tells us so much about what we need in our daily lives.  If we can't open up to each other and take in the talents and needs of others; if we don't value and respect each other there's little hope for a happy personal life or much of a future on the planet if I may be so global!

I take that lesson from any production I work on or any play that I see--big or small.  That collaboration, value and respect is the only way to go!


A LEAVING THE BLUES benefit performance for TOSOS is on Feb 1 to celebrate Black History Month. The evening will feature, in addition to the play, a panel with me, Roz Lee and Malik Gaines AND cocktails! There are tickets still available! It closes Feb 8th.  

Here's a link to a little taste of heaven!






No comments:

Post a Comment